Welcome to linuxreviewsandguides.blogspot.com

Having been a user of Linux for a while now, I know there are plenty of sites for technical information, but sometimes I have struggled to find a site that offers just general reviews, guides and help. Hopefully, over the coming months this blog will build up a great collection of all things Linux to help new and old users alike.

Although I am concentrating on Ubuntu variants, I'm sure there will be something here for everyone. It's early days yet, and I am more than willing to add any contributions! Please follow the blog and keep up with all things Linux.

Here is a list of output you will find on the site:
* General Linux software reviews.
* Various Linux distribution reviews.
* Tips on installing various software.
* Weekly news round-up (On Sundays).
* Linux game reviews.
* Guides

And so much more!

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Using A USB Memory Stick In Linux


This is only a small article for those of you who may have noticed that a USB stick when plugged into your Linux system acts slightly different to when you used to use it in your Windows system.

The first time I ever deleted things from my USB stick and then tried to put new items onto it I was quite perplexed by the fact that I didn’t seem to have much memory on my card as I should. In one instance I deleted 4GB worth of music and films off a 4GB USB memory stick and then tried to drag and drop new contents onto it and it kept telling me I had no room on the memory stick!

At first, my solution was to format the USB stick and try again. However, this is of course not practical in any way. And then I discovered something so simple that it was staring me in the face all the time…

So, when you delete items from your USB memory stick in Linux, make sure you do not remove it! Before you unplug the memory stick, simply click on your wastebasket and delete all the contents in that. Yes, this simple thing then makes sure that you can use your USB memory stick with ease.

Its sometimes the little things that make Linux different enough to put people off using Linux Operating Systems. Hopefully this tip will make you realise that its not always that much different, just slightly different.

Mark Adams
August 16th 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment